MLS Supporters Summit – Garber Says “Maybe” to First Kick Montreal in 2012
Usually I am up early on a Sunday morning anyways watching whatever EPL game is on Setanta. Today I had to get text updates on the games from my girlfriend as I was not in my usual place in front of the television. Instead I was in a theatre behind BMO Field this morning attending the 2010 MLS Supporters Summit. And I was glad I did. Below are some video highlights of the session between Commissioner Garber and supporters representing every MLS club, including newcomers Vancouver and Portland.
For me some of the highlights were:
- Garber admitting that his biggest worry more than anything else in his job with MLS is the potential spectre of fan on fan violence between home and away fans
- Watching Garber squirm a little when asked by Jason DeVos to try and justify TFC price increases based on how relatively poor the product has been on the field
- Garber being coy about changes to the MLS playoff structure… Subsequently he announced that changes will be announced at half time of the MLS Cup Final this evening
- Garber apparently still believes in the Conference Structure over a single table for MLS in the future
- And the Commish feels that twenty teams is pretty well going to be it for the next few years. That means one more after Montreal in 2012, likely I guess to be the New York Cosmos
And for vanity’s sake I want you to take a look at the video below at the one hour and four minute mark. I personally got to ask the Commissioner myself if he would commit to having the MLS 2012 First Kick be in Montreal between TFC and the Impact. The best I could get out of him was a maybe.
And finally on the way out of the venue today I suddenly found myself left alone with the MLS Cup Trophy for about two whole minutes…. I could have stolen it easy peasy…
I could have…. but I didn’t.
Your comments are always appreciated.